Sunday, September 7, 2014

Tracking the primary parts.

This weekend has been devoted to recording the primary vocal and guitar parts for my next record. At this point, the record will be a 9 song, 36 minute collection. This could change, as I do have one song without words that is otherwise written. It could conceivably stand on it's own as an instrumental, but I am confident that there is more to this song that that. I don't need to have it done tomorrow, so time will tell if this song finds it's way onto the record. If it does not, I still have 9 recordings that stand up on their own as solo acoustic guitar and vocal performances.
Today I will begin preparing the tunes for the other musicians I have asked, or intend to be a part of the record.
My writing and arranging skills have matured a lot in the past few years. I was once a songwriter in the tradition of Woody. A few versus, a chorus, a bridge, a section for an instrumental solo. I would start the song much like I would finish it. outside of the chord structure and melody, everything else was an after thought. This would enable me the freedom to hammer through the tunes, and then add other parts later. It is a luxury that multi track recording affords. You can't really fix it in the mix, but you can enhance an otherwise bland arrangement. The trouble with this method, comes on stage when I am unable to recreate the song. Certain ideas are lost due to me being primarily a solo player.
Today I think more in terms of a composer. The song is much closer to a completed composition when I begin recording. The need for soloists is only to add some color and tonal variety. The notes however have all been thought out. The songs should stand on their own and remain interesting from the first note to the last. Very little of what I do now is arbitrary. The guitar part has been as well thought out as the lyric. Each note has it's place.
One song that will appear on the record was written by Avin Loki Baird. The song is called Hold Me Close. Here songwriting follows these ideas. My work with her has influenced my own song writing and arranging. This idea is well demonstrated in the new recording.
The next stage is to reach out to the other vocalists. I have asked a number of people to sing backup or harmony on these songs. I also hear lots of harmonica, fiddle, and a little mandolin.
My plan is to keep it simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment